Dear Reader:
Didn't we all need that lovely, peaceful picture right about now? I would love to someday have a room in my house that is available to have a small desk placed in front of a window like this, dressed in sheer curtains with the window open in spring and summer and a breeze blowing in and the dappled sunlight streaming in on the pages of my books. No computer. No iPad. No iPhone. A writing desk. Reading books, making lists, writing letters. Those are the only things that would happen there. A small vase of flowers. A few decorative ornaments. Some writing paper and pens. Lots of clean space. I would hear the sound of children playing out in the yard - maybe a distant radio or lawnmower. Ah yes, this would be lovely.
So, it is a miracle, dear reader, that I made it through the past week intact. Ha, ha. A week of intense work obligations and no preschool/childcare for the kids. Six babysitters. Two three-day interviews. Five days of class. Grading. Organizing transportation and meetings and keeping people in the loop. But, you know what? There are so many single mothers and fathers and married mothers and fathers out there in the world that don't have as much support and economic flexibility as I do, so it's really hard to complain for more than a few moments. Don't worry; I'll still complain. But, I always try to keep perspective. Being an academic has many headaches, but I am, in general, much more in charge of my own schedule than most careers would allow.
I'm afraid that I didn't do a great job on the healthy living front this week. This is always the danger for me. I get so overwhelmed by my obsessive perfectionism when it comes to my work - especially administrative work for some reason - that the first thing to be jettisoned when I am ridiculously busy is my own health and well-being. I've got to figure out how to forestall this in the future, because this upcoming academic year is not likely to be an easy one for various reasons.
Ah well, I am going on VACATION this coming week, so that will give me a chance to recalibrate and reflect. In fact, I think I am going to take a break from this blog so that I can build some momentum for a few weeks without the need to check in about it. I will return, dear reader, in August. I think I need some time off from writing down my thoughts. I'll try to be satisfied with just thinking them for a while. :)
I was tempted to feel a little depressed about the fact that I can't really take a big vacation this year. I see friends jetting off to Paris and New York or the beach for one or two weeks. Sigh. That would be nice. BUT, I am lucky enough to have two 5 1/2 year olds in my house. And, one of the many benefits of that circumstance is that when you mention to 5 1/2 year olds that you will be visiting an aquarium, a carousel, and a splash park, the excitement level hits the roof. It reminds me that it is possible to find beauty and magic in your own backyard. You don't have to travel to Istanbul to enlarge your world - although there's nothing wrong with that!
Here's one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorites guys: Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
Amen.
So, dear reader, I plan to find the beautiful in the places I visit next week. I plan to exercise and eat mindfully. I plan to rest and read. I plan to practice piano and play some chamber music. And, I plan to come back to this blog in August to visit you all again. Take care of yourselves!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment