Dear Reader:
Happy Midsummer! Happy Summer Solstice! Happy June! The weather has been spectacular this summer so far. Cool in the mornings. Warm, but not terribly muggy, in the afternoon. I love sitting on my back porch in the cool evenings and not feeling stressed about what I have to do the next day. Sigh. If only I could capture that feeling all year long! Goals, dear reader. Goals. :)
So, as you know, work has been crazy and weird lately. Well, it looks like I am about to take on a whole new adventure in that arena. But, as one of my former students told me today, I "eat challenges for brunch!" I do tend to just jump into things and, after deciding about something (usually big and significant), just go after it. My workload is going to shift and change. Still doing some things that I always do, but definitely doing some new things and learning new skills. It's a bit overwhelming, but I like to think it might have a good effect on my energy and enthusiasm for my working life. I was due for a bit of a change. Most importantly, dear reader, I really advocated for myself and established some boundaries and got most everything that I needed to feel comfortable about these changes. I am really proud of myself for this. I know that one of my weaknesses is a desire to help others without setting appropriate boundaries for myself. Sometimes, I get resentful at people for taking advantage of that, but it's really my fault. Boundaries are essential. I just listened to the incomparable Brené Brown on this topic. Her words rang so true for me that I was simply stunned by it. She is describing my issues exactly. I want to live in love and generosity and think that people are doing the best they can. But, I can't do it if I don't let everyone know what is OK and what is not OK. Empathy without boundaries is not empathy. Compassion without boundaries is not compassion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecb6ExBaW80
"What boundaries need to be in place for me to stay in my integrity and make the most generous assumptions about you?" THIS. THIS. THIS. This is good stuff, dear reader. I am going to watch this a thousand times.
So, as a reminder, here are my role models (along with Brené) for work and life:
I'll just be over here channeling these women for a bit.
Good news on the health front: I have been successfully planning for meals each week, and have managed to get the bike rack (OK, I had help on this!) on the car so that I can go on bike rides on the trails arounds here. In the meantime, I have been walking frequently. I am finishing up the self-compassion course and have found it very valuable. I have planted my garden and am enjoying watching the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, and squash grow! There are still sources of stress and moments of depression that pull me down, but I have the time to myself right now to get myself out of that. I might be ready for some more formal calorie counting in a bit. We'll see. Being gentle with myself but establishing some discipline.
This new work life is going to require me to be super-organized and very good at time management. I think that means I need to purchase some lovely, new office supplies. This will bring peace to my soul (not kidding).
I am thinking of doing a yard sale in July. Maybe taking a little mini-break with the kids somewhere "away"... Practicing more consistently. Making some overdue doctor's appointments and dentist appointments and eye doctor appointments for myself.
I'm definitely looking forward to being surrounded by friends and family on Friday at the celebration of my birth. 45! It's a good age.
Let's hope that this year is full of joy and mindfulness and music and love!
Thanks for reading!


No comments:
Post a Comment