Thursday, March 19, 2015

Dear Reader:


I am just tempted to leave this blog post at that.   Really, what else do we need to say??   You can imagine me striding along with arms outstretched like Julie Andrews in the Austrian Alps singing "The hills are alive..."  Because I may or may not be actually doing that in my house right now.  

Even with the rain and general precipitation-related gloominess today,  I am feeling full of vim and vigor.    Even one kick-ass therapy session,  8 piano lessons, and one (awesome!) rehearsal later,  I'm feeling ready to go.   The light at the end of the winter tunnel is starting to radiate around me.    I get to make some wonderful music next week with friends/colleagues.    My kids are enjoying soccer in a way that exceeds my expectations.    We had our first family play tonight.   My daughter brought home a stirring and heartfelt adaptation of "The Three Little Pigs" on a 1st grade reading level that we all acted out to great acclaim.   Watch for us next Oscar season.

Really, when the only thing you can complain about is the effect of the humidity of the season on your pianos (particularly some sticking dampers) and the folly of calling a product "fancy ketchup" when there is nothing remotely "fancy" about it (don't get me started), life is in pretty good shape.

So, since I cannot currently bemoan my outcast state here on this blog (don't worry; I'm sure to get back to this sooner or later - HA!),  I shall use this platform to explain in excruciatingly detailed and painful bullet points why I love Parks and Recreation and, in particular, the character of Leslie Knope so darn much.   Ahem.   (Are you ready, dear reader?  If not, feel free to skip the rest of this post - and HAPPY SPRING!!!!!):

*  Leslie Knope is undaunted by the mediocrity, banality, and folly that surrounds her and that is, sometimes, enacted by her.  UNDAUNTED (NB - I'd like to thank my friend, M., for supplying that perfectly descriptive word in our phone conversation of a few nights ago).   She picks herself up, dusts herself off, and CARRIES ON!

*  The entire cast of the show is brilliant - each diverse character is so intricately drawn and the ensemble chemistry is fantastic.   Tom Haverford.   Ron Swanson.   April Ludgate.   On and on.

*  The show manages, at once, to create ridiculous, caricaturish (is that a word?) situations and then hits you with genuine emotion just at the right moments.

*  Leslie Knope is always trying to do the right thing, but sometimes fails to do the right thing.  REALITY.

*  The show positions friendships and loyalty as equal to or surpassing romantic relationships.  BRAVA.   (There's that great scene where Ben and Leslie are walking down the hallway after she has won the City Council election and Ben lets her go in and celebrate her victory with her friends because it's not always about him and his support of her!   YES.)

*  Chris Traeger (Rob Lowe)'s ubiquitous use of the word "literally" is clearly some English major writer's way of acting out, passive-aggressively, against a pet peeve.

*  Speaking of pets:   Champion:  The three-legged dog.   ENOUGH SAID.

*  Leslie Knope's struggles with relationships, work, loyalty, ambition, and integrity are nuanced, and the overall message is a beautiful encapsulation of third wave feminism.

*  Treat yo'self!   (If you haven't seen the show, you won't understand this, but take my word for it - Awesomeness in a box, people.  For real).

*  Ben Wyatt's game:  Cones of Dunshire and his totally adorable nerdiness.  ADORABLE.

OK.  I could go on and on, but probably shouldn't.    Just know that I will soon become the owner of the entire series on DVD.   And, I may have a room in my house soon to be turned into a shrine to the show (no, not really - but maybe? :)) I haven't watched the final season because I am waiting for it to come out on Netflix, so clearly I have something wonderful to look forward to....  

So, I will now try to fade out the intensely-contented-Julie-Andrews-Sound-of-Music-moment I'm having here.    I'll leave you with a little technique that I have been utilizing to great effect lately.   You breathe in for four counts, hold your breath for 7 counts, and then exhale for 8 counts.   Do this five times.   Try it and tell me you don't feel calmer.   Because, if you do, I won't believe you.

More on the ending of the cravings cleanse in my next post.   I have reintroduced caffeine, gluten, and corn so far.   Interesting results.   I'm saving dairy and sugar for last, because I am sure these are my two problem areas - in addition to eating too many heavy carbs in the evenings....

Thanks for reading.   Enjoy your official beginning of spring tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment