Monday, February 13, 2017

Dear Reader:

Happy Galentine's Day!!!!!!!!!!


 Leslie Knope remains my role model and inspiration.   

Although Galentine's Day is, by far, a more meaningful and joyous holiday, I am not averse to Valentine's Day.   My kids made all of their classmates big heart Valentines with stickers all over them.  I am totally OK with the following:  love, stickers, hearts, pink, compliments, chocolate, cards for everyone, stuffed animals.   So, really, what's not to love about Valentine's Day?   I am quite a long-term spinster myself, but Valentine's Day doesn't make me wistful.   Standing in line at the grocery store behind an elderly couple holding hands affectionately makes me feel a little wistful.   Seeing two lovers engage in brilliant, passionate, engaged conversation makes me feel a little wistful.      I'm happy to get hugs from my little 8 year old Valentines and have a great Tuesday.   No wistfulness there.    And, really, who doesn't need a bit of wistfulness in his or her life?   

So, to make this blog post efficient and not keep me up all night, I would like to outline some healthy choices I have made in recent days:

1)  Went out to dinner with a friend this past Friday.   Good to get out.
2)  Went lap swimming while my kids were in swim lessons on Sunday.   Making this a regular thing.
3) Tried two smoothies from my smoothie box this week as meal substitutes.
4)  Finished another lesson in my online self-compassion course with Brené Brown and Kristin Neff.
5)  Got at least two really good night's sleep.  (Gotta keep working on this one).
6)  Made a Melty Burrito Bake for dinner on Saturday with a nice salad.  

I am planning to walk on the trails tomorrow after a couple of early morning meetings.   I have made plans to go to a political action group meeting on Thursday and I will attend a social event at a local arts center on Friday.   This is all to fight my feelings of isolation.   

In other news, I am trying to dwell less (not ignore) on the sources of my anxiety and depression.  To that end I have focused on the following things:  

1)  I am thinking of getting a weighted blanket to reduce anxiety and improve sleep.

2)  I am obsessed with the idea of getting a miniature golden doodle.   This is going to happen within a year or so.   I am pretty convinced that it is a good idea.  Aren't you?


3)  I am thoroughly enjoying "Victoria" on PBS.  You guys, Victoria and Albert played a Schubert four hand piece.   SQUEEE.


I mean, look at that lovely English garden.   Love, love, love, love, love.

4)  I am also thoroughly enjoying thinking about my current celebrity crush:


He's politically/socially liberal.   He's Canadian.   He's got a French name.   He's a feminist.   He's dreamy.   And, he clearly would have fallen passionately in love with me,  given a chance.   Am I right, dear reader?    I think so.

Okay, I've got to write a study guide for Music History, watch Stephen Colbert's monologue, and get to bed.   Tomorrow, back to calling my Senators and Representatives, teaching tomorrow's youth about the joys of music and connection and art, and parenting two rock-star children.    All while taking GOOD CARE OF MYSELF. 

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment