"To be silent the whole day long, see no newspaper, hear no radio, listen to no gossip, be thoroughly and completely lazy, thoroughly and completely indifferent to the fate of the world is the finest medicine a man can give himself." --- Henry Miller
I suppose this works for women, too, Henry. I'll just assume that you really meant to include women. :) So, dear reader, I was not exactly silent all day long - had some lovely conversations with friends. But, I was thoroughly and completely lazy and definitely was completely indifferent to the fate of the world. In fact, I'd like a little sign to hang on my office door sometimes that states that I am busy being thoroughly and completely lazy!
I had a tapas meal today, dear reader, that I S-A-V-O-R-E-D. Every morsel. Lovely. Satisfying. Beautiful textures and tastes. And, I am going to share some of it with you in pictures. Are you ready?
Assorted Spanish cheeses. The third one from the the top (smoked sheep's milk cheese). To die for. Also, that apricot chutney. Stunning.
White Asparagus in a Lemon Oil and "light as air" Mayonnaise. Do you know that I didn't even notice that Mayonnaise was a French word until now? And, I only thought of it now because this little dish was so incredibly Beautiful/French/Cordon Bleu/Elegant/Delightful/Everything I've Ever Wanted In Two or Three Small Bites.
"Curated" Olives. Arranged like a series of Van Goghs. I have to admit that I have always loved olives and pickles and other such savory things. And, there were so many different varieties of olives here. Each one had a different flavor and texture. Exquisite. Everyone should have someone curate some olives for them at least once in life. You are worth it. Do it.
Rose, Cardamom, and Pistachio Liquid Truffle (with shortbread).
I. Just. Can't.
So, you know, a good day was had. Heck, it was so good, I'll even state that again without the passive voice. I HAD A GOOD DAY.
I went pretend shopping in a fancy mid-century modern furniture store, imagining that I was cool enough and hip enough and rich enough to really consider purchasing some furniture there. Also, I have to say that the whole experience was helped by a super-friendly, super attractive guy who worked in the store and with whom I enjoyed speaking and flirting. Yes, I said flirting. Let me clarify that no one watching the interaction would have any idea that I was flirting - because I am so awkward at it. But, I was. Totally. Flirting. And, you know, he was smiling. And, when another friend joined us and we returned to the front of the store an hour or two later, he remembered me, spoke to me, and smiled again. I mean the smile might have been for both me and my friend, but let's not split hairs. Clearly, he fell in love with me at first sight. Ah, ships that pass in the night. He's probably too young for me anyway. Or maybe not. :) Hee, hee. Anyway, here's a scene from the store:
You can see how necessary it is that the shoppers in this store be hip and cool and rich, right?
I am sure that my little bubble of fictional adventure will probably burst tomorrow when I return to real life, dear reader. But, one must not live by reality alone. What would life be without a little imagination and gourmet food and attractive sales clerks?
I came across this lovely little illustration today which is the most profound Venn Diagram ever. Enjoy:
There are so many things that I will never understand, dear reader, but I do know that I need days like today every once in a while to keep me afloat on my sea of quotidian concerns and responsibilities.
And, may I continue to fall in love with life and good food and sweet smiles and friends and birdsong and sunshine and shadows and deep currents and light breezes and love and laughter. That's the only way I'm going to survive. Here's a giddy poem by e.e. cummings who writes THE BEST LOVE POEMS. (And, I have read a lot of love poems, people.):
Thanks for reading.







No comments:
Post a Comment