Dear Reader:
I have this habit, in times of stress, of repeating the words "I'm going to be OK. I'm going to be OK." It's kind of corny, but it really does help me. When I say it, I feel like I am acknowledging to myself that this is a stressful situation and that I am here and in it, but that it is not going to take over.
And, then today, my wise friend posted this on FB:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/plane
"He saw that we're all helpless. So, get up and help someone."
Yes. Sometimes, things are much more simple than we want to realize.
I had a pretty great day today. My kids turned 7 years old today. When he woke up and came downstairs, my son said "Mama, when I woke up I thought it was an ordinary day and then I remembered, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!" What a great reaction. What if I woke up every day and thought it was an ordinary day and realized, oh my gosh, this is the best day ever. I am alive. I am surrounded by people I love. Work is good and meaningful. Look at that sunset. Feel how cozy this blanket is. Doesn't that coffee taste good?
I've been getting frustrated at work lately and I've been talking with a colleague about it somewhat and we've been commiserating with each other. Well, she sent me an e-mail today that shared a plan about how to move forward with some difficult circumstances and I thought - yeah. Let's just get up and help someone or help move this situation forward in some way. Do what you can do. Think about what could be done better. But, don't make it all such a big deal. You're going to be OK. It's not that big a deal.
So, again, let me share some things that were good today:
1) I got a real sense that several of the students in my Beethoven's Ninth course were really interested in the topic we were discussing today. I heard from another student that a couple of them were talking about how much they love my class today.
2) My daughter was somewhat uncharacteristically cuddly today. She was still full of vim and vigor, but she seemed to put up with my hugs and kisses much more patiently.
3) I've still got the dregs of this cold in my system, but today I felt like it's on its way out. Maybe one or two more nights of reasonable sleep and it'll be gone. I hope. Knock on wood.
4) I handed out a schedule for the rest of the semester in my class today and, boy, we are closing in on the end. While there's a lot of work to be done, the light at the end of this particularly dark and depressing tunnel is shining out there for me now.
5) I remember that I'll be at the beach in two weeks. TWO WEEKS.
So, I'm helpless like everyone else, but it's going to be OK. It's going to be OK.
Thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment