It's true. I am not-quite-done with grading. But, I am oh-so-close! And, I have developed a fondness for unnecessary dashes to-add-emphasis, apparently. Ha. And, yes, dear reader. You have correctly identified that I am now procrastinating so that the final push of grading will probably happen sometime later tonight and probably also tomorrow morning... But, I was really busy being a grown up today. I read an article recently about how insulting the author thought this new trend in using the word "adulting" is, as if people deserve to be patted on the back for just doing what everyone else has to do. I disagree. I think it is wretchedly difficult and tremendously lovely being a human being. All at the same time, sometimes. But there are days when the wretched outweighs the lovely. For sure. And, if a person wants to be ironic and sarcastic and amusing and use the word "adulting" to describe how absolutely difficult it seems on some days to put one foot in front of another, then I say DO IT. It puts life in perspective a little bit, and really, people should applaud themselves for doing what needs to be done.
The grown-up items on my list today were:
1) Caring for a sick child.
2) Taking a wounded cat to the vet.
3) Replacing a headlight on my car.
4) Paying some bills.
5) Responding to some work e-mails.
6) Doing 5 loads of laundry.
However, I did manage to sneak away from adulthood for an hour or so and take my second walk of the week (and, really, my third or fourth walk this entire semester - a travesty, I tell you!). And, I was reminded of how I like to look for things in this, my not-so-favorite (again with the dashes!) winter season (Although, I know - it hasn't felt like winter at all. My worst case scenario thinking is pretty sure this means that January/February/March are going to be brutal), that remind me of the potential for growth and development. My friend has a photo of a monument in Bellevue, WA with a quote by Theodore Roethke. The monument is covered in snow, but the quote is: "I see the green, and things to come." I am actually obsessed by that photo. So much so that I might have to ask her for a copy of it. It's the perfect image to help one think of possibility in times of trouble or depression or darkness or stagnation.
While I was on this walk, I had a very comforting memory of walking with my father along the Tygart River Road in North Philippi, WV (my hometown) at holiday time. He and I took that walk many times. We wouldn't talk much. Just enjoyed each other's company. From time to time, he would point out some bird or leaf or tree. I particularly remember a persimmon tree. I associate persimmons with him because he would always stop and pick one for me and himself. They are one of the few fruits that ripen in the winter. We would eat them right then and there, juices dripping down our chins. I always smile when I think of it. Anyway, I felt his presence with me today on my walk. It was a grounding influence. I noticed things that I am sure he would have pointed out:
I love the light shining through the leaves and bouncing off of the branches here!
Hello, mushrooms! You really look like butterflies getting ready to take flight...
The moss on this log is like a luxurious carpet, don't you think? You might even say verdant!
I went to restorative yoga yesterday. First time in months. My body felt strange; I've been ignoring it. But, I could feel the blessed release from my mind as the class went on. I have carved out Tuesday mornings next semester to prioritize myself and commit to a yoga class. I believe it to be necessary to my survival. After all:
Can I hear an AMEN? Although I think it might be true of committed fathers, too. So, let's call it depleted parent syndrome.
I've been listening to Ella Fitzgerald lately. That's been life-enhancing. Her voice is so clear and so nuanced and so lovely. "How Long Has This Been Going On?" is one of my favorites.
I've also been working on breaking the rumination cycle. Some days are more successful than others. Along those lines, this comic made me smile:
In case it's not clear, I want to be more like the dog. :)
So, I'm now out of procrastination material. I need to get back to grading.
A parting gift: Here's a synopsis of what looks like a delightful children's book:
https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/08/10/the-little-gardener-emily-hughes/
A parting gift: Here's a synopsis of what looks like a delightful children's book:
https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/08/10/the-little-gardener-emily-hughes/
I hope you find plenty to smile about this week, dear reader!
Thanks for reading.



No comments:
Post a Comment