Sunday, January 5, 2014

Dear Reader:

Today was a good day.   I like those.  Nothing too exciting to report or discuss.  Tomorrow, I go back to work, so I'm sure that the stressors will return in full force at some point.    Here's hoping that I will have the presence of mind to keep present with this journey in a semester that is looking very packed and full of decisions for me (nothing major, but some decisions that will realign some of my daily activities in the future...).  

I started a project this fall that got side-tracked by some other stuff.   I want to pick it back up this semester (isn't it funny, BTW, that my life is always going to be divided into semesters - I'm such an academic - I don't even think about it anymore...).   I'm going to write some letters.  Actual handwritten letters.  I'm afraid it is becoming a lost art, and I remember a couple of periods in my life where letters were very important to me in creating/maintaining a connection.    So, anyway, I won't hope for any return letters, but I will be extremely excited to get even one or two in my mailbox.   In any case, I like the idea that a letter represents a conscious intent to think about a person without distraction and create a connection with them.   Life really is about connection isn't it?   Connection with yourself.   Connection with other people.  Connection with your work.   And, it is hard work.  That's for sure.

Here are today's stats:

Total calories consumed:  1429
Total calories burned:  190 (30 minutes on treadmill squeezed in between dinner at the neighbors and my Downton Abbey soiree!)

Breakfast:  Two Chocolate Chip Waffles, One Egg White Delight McMuffin, Coffee, Milk

Lunch:
Dinner (isn't it lovely when you go to a very clean, very nicely decorated friend's house where everything is uncluttered and someone serves you this kind of food?  Thanks, G.!):
Also, I made a cake this afternoon.   And, I didn't even eat any of it.  I may have a slice tomorrow.  This is nothing short of amazing.  There is cake in the house, and I didn't feel compelled to eat it right now.   Huh.  
So, on the weight loss front, I am still holding steady at 21 lbs. lost.  I know this is normal, but I'm feeling a bit discouraged.   It's been at least a week.  I know that I'll make progress soon.   I know it.  I am NOT STALLED.   I am going to try and get myself a scale to be more precise about my food measurements...  And, I really need to get myself a fitbit to count steps during the day.   

Meanwhile, dear reader, keep warm tonight.  It's going to be a cold one out there.   I'm putting an extra blanket on the bed and getting myself ready for bed.   Onward and upward tomorrow.

Thanks for reading!   

2 comments:

  1. You probably know this, but there is a thing called "stair stepping" with weight loss - I've found it happens to me a lot. My weight will stay the same for a little while (once it was THREE WEEKS, argh) regardless of what I do... and then all of a sudden the pounds will start coming off again, and rather quickly. It's very weird, but apparently very common. So don't starve yourself in order to see the scale move, because it WILL move... you just need a little patience :) --M. (I say this as someone with exactly no patience, so I feel you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will heed this advice. It's the same with piano practice. I'll work on a passage FOREVER with no improvement and then, suddenly, it will click. Let's hope that happens here SOON. Thanks, M.!

      Delete