Dear Reader:
Today was my official start to the Christmas season. My tree is up! But, I was a bit grumpy this morning because I had to do a morning rehearsal (9am) and, well, it's Saturday. Saturday is MY ONLY DAY that is unencumbered by work. Seriously. So, when work encroaches on Saturday, I get a bit cranky. But, Christmas is coming upon us and when you are a musician, it's a heavy duty season. And, let's face it. At least I'm working at something that I love. So, I managed to rally. As did my poor kids who were schlepped to the rehearsal and two Christmas parades.
I love local Christmas parades. Local bands, random people just strolling down the street in Santa hats. Super-tacky nativity scene floats. People hurling candy at my kids. Can we spend a moment talking about the candy? Because, seriously, folks. There needs to be LESS CANDY given to kids at these holiday events. We are still not done with the one treat a day Halloween bag. I am definitely throwing away 2/3 of this stuff tonight. Luckily, this is one thing that poses no threat to my food issues. I've never been a big candy fan. I mean, I'm not saying that I won't eat a Hershey Kiss or a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup when presented with the opportunity. But, it doesn't really call my name like a chocolate dipped strawberry or a beautifully caramelized creme brûlée. Maybe my tastes are just too expensive in this area. Probably a good thing.
I decreased the intake of calories by about 300 from the usual range today. And, my body is not screaming for food and my mind is not obsessing over anything currently in my refrigerator, so I think I'm OK. The only thing I wish I had done was get my egg in in the morning for protein energy... I only had time for a banana since I had to rush out of the house earlier than usual for this Saturday....
Calories consumed: 1414
Calories burned: (30 minutes on the treadmill): 183
Breakfast: Banana, coffee
Lunch: Salmon wrap with artichokes and hummus (only half - the other half will be a good lunch on Monday), tomato/spinach soup
Dinner: Wendy's Chili, plain baked potato with one T of butter and one T of sour cream
Snack: 7 Triscuits
I have been increasing my intensity for portions of my treadmill activity. It's getting to the point where level 2.5 feels like what 1.5 used to feel. And, I'm regularly hitting level 3 for longer periods of time. For those you who are regularly doing level 6 or running marathons in the Andes, good for you. Don't talk to me. Ha.
I really am finding it hard to fit in the strength training (which I actually enjoy...). I'm definitely planning two sessions next week, and I need to start do the abs exercises every day. Maybe that's something I can do quickly in the morning before the kids get up...
One other note about today. I regularly forget how old I am (I just checked - apparently, I'm 42). Well, today I woke up and looked at my daughter who had crawled into bed with me in the middle of the night and thought - am I really old enough to have this daughter? Sometimes, I find it hard to believe that I'm actually out of high school. Turns out I'm a responsible adult. Who knew. I think that this may be a positive thing, actually. One of the happy side effects of my living in my own head so much... As long as I don't forget to pay the bills and look out for the kids, I suppose.
Well, even though it is 11:30pm, I am now going to brew a cup of my new Cinammon/Star Anise tea and put the Yo-Yo Ma Christmas album on and turn off all the lights except for the Christmas tree. I'm thinking about a near-future post on winter/darkness/depression/solitude and, of course, how that relates to my food issues...Letting it percolate...
Thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment