I am knee-deep in birthday party preparation for a certain pair of 5 year olds, but today was a good day for me.
Calories consumed: 1445
Calories burned (elliptical 30 min.): 407
My new scale arrived and it appears as though I have lost 5 lbs. in these first 8 days. I don't expect this rate to continue, but boy does it feel good to move in the right direction.
I also did some weight training - leg press (three sets of 15 at 140, 150, and 160), Hip abduction/adduction (three sets each at 40).
Because I had to throw a lot of things together this morning, I decided to try the Egg-White McMuffin at McDonald's for breakfast and thought it was pretty good. And, only 250 calories.
I went out to lunch with a friend and got a salad pizza and a cup of mushroom soup. Here's what I had on the plate:
Here's what I left on my plate:
And, we went out to dinner (still trying to wean myself off of going out - it's not good for my wallet or my health, but I did better than normal tonight):
And, even had a little treat worth 250 calories:
There is some no sugar added yogurt under all that kiwi and strawberry. I'm also going to have some lime and salt popcorn tonight (almost as good a thing as that edamame hummus!) whilst I put together party favors, etc.
I found an article written by Dr. Mark Hyman (Blood Sugar Solution) that had some helpful advice that I intend to ponder:
- Start each meal with 3 deep belly breaths.
- Observe your thoughts about yourself and the food you are about to eat. Remember, judging your food as good or bad essentially begs the idea that you too are either good or bad. While a diet based on whole, fresh, real, organic, local and seasonal foods is best, there will be times when you will want a treat, a “recreational food” or you will be offered a food you may think of as “bad.” Imagine the difference in digestion you would experience if the next time you ate your favorite food or any food under a relaxed state where you savored each bite and didn’t have to rush through it out of guilt, worry, or self doubt about willpower! I’d rather see you eat all food under the optimal state of digestion and absorption so that you best metabolize and utilize your nutrients.
- When you eat, do so with willing attention toward your food.
. Savor the flavor: Notice the texture and aroma of each bite to get the most flavor. Is it sweet, salty, spicy, crunchy, sour, bitter, or smooth?
. Observe: Notice your body – is your belly gurgling with hunger? Or are you completely
stuffed? Are you stressed or calm and what could you do in that moment to increase relaxation?
. Be Present: Sit down while you eat, turn off all media or keep it in another room and simply eat while you are eating-nothing else!
. Resist Judgment: Let go of the urge to engage in negative self-talk and eat with compassion, respect, and gratitude toward your body. Notice when “should” or rigid rules pop into your mind and be aware of any guilt that comes up for you around certain foods. Now is not the time to criticize-now is the time to calm your mind, slow the chatter and be present in your body.
. Awareness: Notice the difference the next time you drift off during a meal. Bring yourself back to the moment and taste each bite. Maximize your pleasure!
Thanks for reading!






No comments:
Post a Comment