Dear reader:
Well, it appears as though we are in some crazy phase of the moon or something because there was drama everywhere I looked today. A small portion of the drama was mine, but most of it was happening to others within my sphere. Do you ever feel like there are just days or weeks where everyone seems on edge or the emotions seem very close to the surface? I don't know. It could be that because I am trying to avoid numbing my stress and emotions with food, I am more attuned to these things? I have always been attuned to other people's mental/emotional states to a very high degree and, sometimes, tend to take on some of their "stuff" unconsciously. Empathy, on the one hand is an extremely positive and connective quality, but the other side of that emotional connection can be the possibility of toxicity.
As for my minor portion of the drama....I was all set to do a health screening this morning at 10:30am for the purpose of reducing my insurance premium through participation in a wellness program. I was supposed to fast before this appointment so that they could take an accurate cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure reading. So, I didn't eat breakfast or have coffee. TRAGIC. CRANKY. IRRITABLE. I got to the appointment with a few minutes to spare to find out that they would likely not be able to work me in for another hour. I had a class to teach. I was not feeling great without food at that point. I had to leave. Not happy. I rushed back to eat a peanut butter sandwich and some sugar snap peas before class. And, then my exercise/walking partner cancelled our noon hour walk, and I was feeling like I needed to lay down on a chaise lounge with a hand to my forehead, so I ended up not going on the walk. I wish I had, but it just wasn't to be today so I must let that expectation go. Poof. There. Did you see it fly away? Ha.
To make a long story even longer, it became a long day and I didn't exercise until 10pm, but really, I did exercise at 10pm - not ideal by A LONG SHOT - but worthy of at least a pat on the back, right?
Naturally, I also forgot to take pics of my after-screening-attempt snack and my lunch (salad with chickpeas, cauliflower, spinach, sunflower seeds, carrots, oil and vinegar plus hummus and pita wedges and a bowl of strawberries). But, here was my dinner at church (before choir rehearsal):
Calories consumed: 1870
Calories burned: 187
Weight: Appears to remain consistent on the possibly untrustworthy scale (new one coming SOON!)
I'm five days in now. I'm still feeling momentum. I'm focusing on the idea that it takes about 21 days to make something a real habit, so only 16 days left for that milestone, right?
Thanks for reading!

Way to hang in there today. Nothing like no breakfast to turn me into a fire-breathing dragon. I know people who don't eat breakfast. This phenomenon is as foreign to me as the paleo diet. When I die, they will have to pry my cereal spoon out of my cold dead hand.
ReplyDeleteHa, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Yes, I am convinced that breakfast is a necessary requirement for humanity.
Delete